Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Whippet Nationals 2012


Whippet Nationals

Goodness, it’s the middle of June! And I’ve written one single post since April. I guess I’m busy living life and running out of time to blog about it.

Whippet Nationals is the annual meeting for the Whippet breed through the American Kennel Club. What an experience, there were whippets everywhere! Brindle whippets, black whippets, fawn, tan, cream, sable, every color of whippet you can imagine. And the whippet items:  whippet coats, collars, pictures, tiles, pillows, magazines, note pads. One of my humans bought both Kobe and I new coats, new collars and purchased lots of whippet swag.

 At first, all those dogs barking around me got me feeling a little anxious. I was surrounded and began to have flashbacks from my crowded and chaotic first home.

But then I said to myself, “Barcie girl, you were a Show Dog. You know this world; take it in stride. After all, you were a star!”

So when Wrap (Whippet Rescue and Placement) held their Parade of Rescues the final day of the Nationals, I confidently took my turn around the ring and listened calmly while my biography was being read. And heavens, most of the other rescue dogs had stories that were very, very dark. Made me feel like mine wasn’t all that bad.


Afterwards, each rescue dog received ribbons and a bag with some trinkets; toys, blankets, a ribbon honoring each of us as WRAP rescues.


Afterwards I slept for 2 days. That whirl of travel and excitement just wore me out. And Kobe? Here he is in his new duds, looking very “man about town.” That’s what we brought him from Nationals; he gets way too crazed around other dogs to come along.


 Well, I need to 'wrap' this up (chuckle) so until next time..

Toodles, Barcelona

1 comment: