Saturday, November 14, 2015

Days of Canine Yesteryear: the Life Of a Whippet In the old days

Kobe and I were stuck inside on a rainy day and my mind started to wander. I began to ponder the life of dogs during the “olden days.”

No, I’m not talking about 1995; but back when some of the first whippets lived in England. Did you know that whippets were bred by mixing greyhounds and terriers?


So I said to myself, “Barcie girl, enough of this pampered, coat-wearing, toy squeaking, kibble-crunching life. What would it be like if I lived like my ancestors did?”

Back then whippets were known as the “Poor man’s racehorse”.  And why? Because whippets could compete in races for the “purse” or catch game to help feed the family. And we needed less grub than our larger relative, the greyhound.

A whippet could earn more in a single race than their owner working in the mines. That’s why we were treasured family members.

So, I would have been a working dog; a contributing part of the family. Even If I didn’t race I could go running after a wild rabbit and bring in food for the table.

English Miners racing their Whippets. 
Ouch, this picture makes my ears hurt!
The master would dress and cook the rabbit in the stew pot or roast it over a spit. After the family ate, they’d throw a few scraps to the side for me. I’d sprawl on the bare earth next to the hearth. The fireplace was the only source of heat in our humble little hovel. Ah, a simple and genuine life.

Life was so much shorter and harsher. There was no pampering. Dogs had to earn their living. We weren’t just pets! And my skills in running fast and pursuing prey would have been necessary and truly appreciated; in fact my purpose in life!

Finally I began to realize that for all its nostalgic appeal the past had a few flaws. Even people had hard lives, especially if they were poor. Dogs most likely didn’t fare much better.
So, while canine history has given me a very pleasant daydream, I don’t know about the reality. Hardships like scratching fleas, going hungry and sleeping on the cold ground just doesn’t sound like fun. And working all the time?

Being a dog in the 21st century beats living during any other era. Why would I want to give up my soft little bed, fleece coat and central heating? In fact, right now I’m jumping onto the sofa and laying my head right on the upholstery. I want to honor my ancestor’s experiences – even if I don’t want to imitate them.

Please note:
Much of what I actually learned about the history of dogs came from these sites:  “Sniffing out the Past (https://sniffingthepast.wordpress.com/2011/07/19/hello-world/.)

No comments:

Post a Comment